Skip to main content

.1

New topic but ranting again (just thought I would give you fair warning).

Accelerated Reader. A blessing or a curse? I love that my kids can read. I love that Accelerated Reader motivates my kids to finish books. I don't like the ridiculousness that goes on behind good intentions.  My kids school gives them a range to read between and they have to get so many testing points a semester. It is part of their reading grade.  I don't agree with grading recreational reading.  Studies show grading recreational reading it is causing kids to NOT be life long readers. Isn't that what we want?  Yes! I also want my kids to be better readers but there is a fine line between becoming a better reader and having a person who can read but doesn't.  

Accelerated Reading tests do few things for the teacher. It tests the kids on comprehension and it gives points based on the level of the book. For example my oldest is reading a book right now that if she gets all the answers correct on the test she will get 44 points. (It is a sixth grade level book.) My middle child just finished a mid 4th grade book and it is only 8 points.  Each is required to meet a points goal and get a 80% or better on comprehension.  Points are based on how many questions you get right.  Two grades total, one for point goal and one for comprehension. If you meet your goal you get a 100%. Comprehension grade is based on the number of correct answers.  Points are also based on percentage of correct answers.  If you get a question wrong on an 8 point book you only get 7.5 points.  Clear as mud right?  

My middle child bought a book at the book fair.  She is super excited about this book but isn't super excited about reading.  It is .1 below her reading level, a tenth. Her teacher will not let her read it until her AR point goal is reached. The way I understand it is that .1 is about a month in terms of reading level.  So it you have a 4.1 reading level you are a fourth grade, first month of school reader.  REALLY, 1 month out of her range and she can't read it?  I want to email her teacher so bad and be like really?  Then I think maybe she should work up to reading what she wants.  Not sure with my child which will work best.  She is a complainer so I am sure to hear about it until the day she can read the book.  Just seems so silly.

Well, between the last paragraph and this one I did email her teacher. She will not budge on the rules.  I think I made my point.  Consider the child and not the rules. I understand her work ethic and is very passionate but in my opinion she not realistic.  My daughter is 7.  She is reading a year to two years above her current grade level.  My 7 year old can not read a book about a class pet but can read Hunger Games according to her grade level.  Just because it is her level doesn't mean it is appropriate and I wouldn't let her read it.

This is why my husband and I get along so well.  He actually brought up Hunger Games and said if it was on her level to send it to school with her. That would ruffle some feathers or people would just talk about us. I think it would prove our point. I know there are hundreds if not thousands of book in her level that she could read that are appropriate but sometimes you just want to start trouble to prove a point.  Consider the child and don't be so black and white with the rule.

I could understand if my child was in the third grade and reading below her grade level and struggling.  Reading in your targeted area is supposed to make you a better reader.  BUT when you are already years ahead I think common sense should allow for some rule breaking.  BAH!  I am going to stop this rant!

I gave my daughter the option of reading the book now and not taking a test on it.  I am confident she will exceed all AR testing requirements for the semester.  She said she is going to meet her goal first then read the book.  Hopefully this will limit the complaining about the rules.  Just another day of being a parent.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the