Skip to main content

Hats

Wearing many hats? They say variety is the spice of life. I love idioms. When I was a kid I never really understood the idiom, "the pot calling the kettle black." It was one of those ah ha moments later in life. I had never seen a black pot or kettle in my youth. Then as I learned more about history it all clicked one day.  Iron pot, iron kettle, both black.  It really was more of a duh moment.  I do love those moments of ah ha learning. That is why I went into teaching so many years ago. Just one of my hats.  

Today I has been pretty busy getting all my ducks in a row. My ducks are very different looking from 10 years ago when I left the classroom to be a mother. They say a leopard can not changes his stripes, so once a teacher always a teacher. I worked hard for that hat in this life so I hang onto it just in case. It is my rainy day hat because sometimes it rains cats and dogs.

I starting thinking about all the hats I wear. Some are huge sombrero sized hats, some are tiny clown hats and some are hanging in the closet for a rainy day. I tend to bit off more than I can chew and is probably why I have so many hats.

I am a mother of three kids, two girls and a boy. They are the apples of my eye. I am very thankful for my husband that has stood by me through thick and thin. My family is a pretty huge hat.

I am also a volunteer at a nonprofit organization. I wear a couple different hats for them. I am a tutor coordinator and on the advisory board. This hat is getting bigger every year. Which is good because actions speak louder than words. This organizations goal is to help the poor and help kids break the cycle of poverty. This is where my rain hat comes in handy.

I also have my beret, my crafty hat. I love crafting, friends and a cup of joe.  I host a craft morning at my house twice a month. I call it Coffee and Crafts. It is the icing on the cake in my creative world.

My newest hat is my newsboy hat, the flap hat. The writer in me trying to escape. Last year I came across a nonprofit organization NaNoWrMo which stands for National Novel Writing Month. They have set aside the month of November as a month to write a 50,000 word novel. I have always wanted to write a book before I kick the bucket. Yet , I have never been motivated to actually write longer than a blog. Though Rome was not in one day, I do plan on writing my heart out this November. I am not trying write a New York best seller but I have to try this challenge. I think the motivation of having your words submitted and counted gives me the motivation I need. I'm pretty sure it will not be worth a hill of beans when I am done.  The most I can hope for is it will help that writer escape. If not, at least scratch something off my bucket list.

I have more hats in the closet but for now I must hang up the flap hat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the