Skip to main content

Lucky 13

Today Mark and I celebrated our 13 wedding anniversary.  He took the day off to spend with just me.   He took the girls to school and Nathan to Nana's for the day.  He finished a small project at my parents house this morning.  I had a car circle free morning and the house all to my lonesome for a couple of hours.  It was lovely.

When he got home this morning we had breakfast alone. Talking about this and that.  I was telling him how much I got done without Nathan here this morning.  Kids create a lot of interruptions. Have you ever really thought about the interruptions in a day a child creates?  I love my kids but they need a lot of attention during a day. Don't get me wrong I don't mind the work my kids create because life without them is unfathomable.  I just realized today that in the hustle and bustle of the day I am interrupted from my mom tasks often.

The interruptions are welcome at times. The ones that required me to read me a book, playing a game, or looking for the beloved toy.  But then there are interruptions that aren't welcome.  The sibling fights,   the need for something that is absurd like a cookie at 9 AM.  My favorite is the famous line, "I'm hungry" just an hour after a meal.  I seem to get on a roll in the morning and all the sudden it is lunch time.  Time to stop what I am doing and make lunch and then clean it all up.  The simple interruption of lunch really messes with my motivation and focus.

All that to say Mark asked me,  "If I didn't get  a job next year what was I going to do?"  My response was "heaven."  Mom nirvana.  Home all day without the kids.  I might actually get something done and then have time for me.  Selfish I know, but it does sound heavenly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...