Skip to main content

Delta

I am amazed at the impact a dog can have in your life.  Delta was over 13 years old.  We aren't really sure how old she was because when we adopted her in 1998, she was full grown.  Mark and I got her from the Humane Society after Hurricane Georges. They sent a truck of dogs from Mississippi to our local Humane Society.  One reason why we called her Delta.  We paid $35 for her because she weighed more than I think 30 lbs.   I thought it was funny the bigger the dog the less expensive.

We had her in our lives for 12 1/2 years.  Needless to say today is different.  She will be missed greatly.  She had bone cancer and yesterday was her last.

I learned a lot about my kids yesterday.  I waited until the girls got home from school to tell all of them at once.  All three had a different reaction.  Madison wears her heart on her sleeve and between sobs wanted to know "more information" and then in the very next breath said, "can our next dog be a Golden Retriever?".  Alex found the quickest way to her room without being seen.  Nathan wasn't too upset, didn't shed a tear.  As the girls are sobbing he was ready to take his birthday money to buy a puppy.  Later he said " well we won't have dog hair on the couch anymore." Which made Madison upset.

My neighbor is so sweet and full of motherly wisdom.  She said Delta was worth crying over because she was a noble dog.  A good dog is worth the tears.  So we are a bit sad today but Delta was worth it.  We will move on but we will never forget her.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~ Roger Caras

Comments

Nicole said…
She was certainly worth crying over.

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...