Skip to main content

Love

I have never been on for New Years resolutions but I do like the pick a word or theme for the year so I am going with, love.  I am working on a home decor project for a Valentine's Day decoration and wanted a saying about love.  Today I decided to start my day off right and in THE WORD.  Not sure why I don't stick to the habit but I digress.

Today I read a few verses in Colossians I immediately thought this is what I want, this is what I want to display for Valentine's Day, this is what I have been searching for.  Funny how one decides to seek ye first the kingdom and she find what her heart wants to say on canvas.  So much for Pinterest.

Colossians 3: 12 -14

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

WOW!  For me this just says so much.  First, God's chosen people.  Just let the sink in a bit.  AND dearly loved.  Chosen and not just loved, but dearly loved?  We all want to be chosen and loved.  

Clothe, interesting choice of words.  It takes me an hour to clothe myself everyday.  At least that is the time I allow myself before I need to be somewhere.  It is an act of doing, not something I have within me but something I need to actively do.  Clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  I have a choice on what I wear for the day.  I have to chose to be compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and be patient.  Not easy, not easy at all.

Bear with each other.  Implies that we are hard to put up with and someone is going to make you mad because it then says forgive.  I try hard to bear with others but it isn't easy, just as I know it is not easy for people to bear with me.

My favorite from the whole section is, "And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." PUT on love.  It is easy for me to love my husband, I like him.  It is easy for me to love my kids, I was active in their creation.  But put on love implies again active, you have to do it.  Love doesn't just happen.  You have to actively love.  A cognitive choice.

Lots to think about.  I am going to paraphrase this some how on canvas because I can't paint all these words but it is about love.  You have to have all these virtues plus love for perfect unity.  I need unity in my life.  Three kids all less than three years apart, we have lots of division in this house.  We all need to work on these virtues for my sanity.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...