Skip to main content

I wrote this in May....

I am a proud mother to two gifted students and my third child has just been tested. We will know this year if he is in the program or not.  I wonder how I could have three gifted children when I feel so average.  There is a lot to being a mom to a gifted child, I am on the horizon of three gifted kids.  My kids challenge me daily.  Don't they all?  Life as a mom of gifted students is not easy.  I am not complaining.  Just hear me out.  Every child has some need, some gap to be filled.

My children read years above their grade levels.  That alone has many challenges. They are reading on or above an 11th grade level at ages 11 and 9.  Finding books that are age appropriate, yet challenging are not easily found.  They could read just about anything in the library but Hunger Games is not appropriate in my opinion.  They could read Pride and Prejudice but would they understand the relationships and the sacrifice of the characters?  

I had no idea six years ago when we were at a well visit and the doctor said to me "you have to remember that she is just three" would be my mantra.  The doctor knew something about my child that was everyday normal for me.  My child at 3 was already showing signs of being ahead of the norm but still just three and acted three at times. Yet at 4 she could read.  This is my normal.  This is my everyday.  Finding ways to challenge them is not an easy task.  I often have to remind myself that we can be talking about very high level thoughts one moment but they are still in elementary school.  

My oldest is having a hard time in school.  Not with grades and getting her work done but in fifth grade there is a wide range of abilities.  She understands most of what is being taught, she is frustrated with the inequility in her classroom.  She has valid complaints and complains of not being challenged.  We have chosen to send our kids to public school which most would agree runs based on the average student.  This is hard when you have a child at both the bottom of the bell curve and the top.  

My first year teaching fourth grade I had the hardest time with a reality that still hurts to this day.  I had a student that did his best but his best was not fourth grade.  I was out to save this one student.  It was my first year teaching and so the world was mine to conquer.  I was talking with the guidance counselor and she said to me, his IQ is to low and is performing at his level.  In order to be serviced you have to have a discrepancy between IQ and performance.  He was performing with what the good Lord gave him.  This broke my heart.  He was failing to meet expectations but was doing his best. There was nothing more we could do.  We were not failing him, he was learning at his level.  Not every child can be made average.  This was a hard reality.    

So why this story you ask.  Well, it is a reminder to me that their is inequality in the world.  My kids have to know this even if they are bored at school or feel like others are "stupid" for not understanding the concepts taught in class.  Yes, my child has come home to tell me how stupid the kids are in her class.  It doesn't sound nice, I agree but she is young and doesn't know the difference.  It is not easy for her to understand that she is not the norm and that it is developmentally appropriate for her class to not understand fractions even when she understands the concept.  She is not perfect.  She just has a better understanding of concepts beyond her years in school.  This is something she will have to deal with daily, yearly and maybe for a life time. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...