Skip to main content

Home Run!

The score was 10 - 13.  It is the bottom of the fourth (they only play five innings). Two girls on base.  Madison was up to bat.  My bench bunny is letting her light shine and WACK!  She hit a hard ground ball up the middle of the field past second base, past the out fielders and she is running like the wind.  In field HOME RUN!  Three runs scored and the game is tied 13-13.  So exctied I got to yell, "that's my girl!"

Next inning the team held them off to zero runs.  Our first base girl gets two outs in a row (she is really good).  Our team is up to bat, one run and our team wins.  First base girl is up and gets a hit, the next girl up hits a fly ball the center field and our first base girl gets the winning run 14-13.

Coach gives the game ball to a player that worked hard, went to every practice and kept a good attitude (see he noticed).  She kept a good attitude even though she has only played one or two innings a game and other girls have got to play every inning.  I am so proud that she listened to my heart to heart the other day.  I feel like I had to really soul search to say the right things to her.  I have to admit I got teary eyed.  Other girls on the team played hard and deserved a game ball too.

This could have gone two ways.  I have observed both this week.  One is let you light shine or one of a bad attitude that your kid is in the dugout more than not.   We decided to take the high road, hold our heads high, keep a good attitude and be the best bench bunny on the team.  Cheer your team on, keep a good attitude and do your best when up to bat or the inning you get to play.  Other team members and parents have not been so gracious.  It made the difference for  Madison and ending in a great trophy, a game ball.  

It has been really hard for me not to let the cost of letting Madison be on the team not effect my attitude.  She has had a lot of bench time, maybe more than any other girl on the team.  It is hard to watch your girl that thinks she is the best second base player sit and watch her team play.   One can get a serious bad attitude if you think only about yourself.  There are other girls on Madison's main team that are great players that didn't get the opportunity to play in the All Star team.  It is an honor, not a right to play on the team.  There is no I in team.  One girl doesn't make or break the team but your attitude can either make you a light among others or a force to be reckoned with.  I will choose to promote letting your light shine because I do believe it made a difference for Madison.

Comments

Melody said…
Yay Madison! It is so great to receive the honor & deserved recognition..... even better to have a joyful heart and to be a positive influence for your peers when you seem to not be appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...