Skip to main content

Education Continued

I try hard not to be that parent.  The parent that really has no business making outrageous requests on behalf of their children. On the flip side my past teaching experience tells me that my kid is unique. I know enough to be dangerous. I have been in the public school as a teacher long enough to know how things work, what questions to ask, and I know who you ask is crucial.

Last year in kindergarden my student was reading on a third grade level early in the year. I requested her to take the STAR test early. The STAR test gives you a grade equivalent to reading skills. I only knew this because of my older student. Kindergardeners usual don't take this test because most of them do not read. She was reading on a mid third grade reading level. Her teacher of 26 years said she never had a student that could read so high. Bells and whistles went off in my head.

We had our conferences and made requests. What we would have liked to see happen didn't. On the flip side she loved school. I am all for if they love school, let things be. Although Alex could read she didn't like chapter books and I was not going to force the issue. She was already ahead of the game and I am all for kids being kids. Her teacher was challenging her and she was happy so let bygones be bygones.

When school started this year I made sure that her teacher knew what she was up against. I was pleased that her teacher was the reading coach for the school last year. I knew that she would be willing to challenge her in ways she needs to be challenged. In October at our conference we both knew what she needed to work on. Mostly writing skills, reading chapter books and socialization. She is an introvert and well, doesn't like people at times. Her teacher loves reading and it had a positive effect on Alex. She started to read chapter books and caught the reading bug. Which is great but now that she is reading, she jumped from third grade reading level to seventh.

Here is what set off the alarms. While doing homework one afternoon she said to me, "why do I have to do this when I already know it?"  Do you hear what she is saying?  I know she knows 10 + 6, she was working on triple digit/double digit subtraction with regrouping at home with 90% accuracy. Alex mid winter decided she didn't like school anymore. She started to give me a hard time in the mornings and afternoons during homework. I know kids can be kids but a very compliant child that becomes difficult should sound off the parent alarm. Come this winter her teacher admitted to me that in October she saw what she could work on and now she don't know what to do with her.  Um yeah we need to have a conference ASAP!  I requested a conference with the teacher, principle and gifted teacher.

So it turns out I am not that parent making outrageous requests. We all agree that Alex needs more than first grade work. How we accomplish this is going to take work and patience.  My husband would like for me to homeschool at times. I think that we have a plan that will work for Alex but homeschooling is an option. There are many factors that we have to consider but we are testing the waters for her to skip a grade.

A shout out to her teacher that heard what I was saying and made little changes immediately that made a huge difference in Alex's attitude toward school. She simply gave her a spelling pretest on Monday and it she gets a 100 (every week) she gets to pick 6 of the vocabulary words for her spelling test on Friday. She gave her some choices for homework. Which make me laugh because she always complained about alphabetical order but chooses that every week. All about the choice for her.

Comments

Stacie said…
I LOVE these 2 posts, Heather! They are so great! It definitely makes me sad when I come across people who think the one way is THE way. I pray that everyone has an attitude like you, & a love for their children enough to leave their judgements at the door when trying to follow the Lord's leading in academic education. Props to you, yo! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the