Skip to main content

2012/2013

Ready of not here comes school year 2012/13. I am not sure why but my kids do not what to go back to school. I asked if they want me to homeschool and they all yell, "NO!"  They all have good teachers so I am not sure why they don't want to go back.  Maybe we have too much fun in the summer.

As we prepare for another year of school I am thinking about the what is in store for me this year too. Today I found my mind wondering all over the map of my life. I think that this year will be my last year of stay at home mom. I really enjoy my time home without the kids but on the flip side I really miss them and dislike being a stay at home mom without anyone here.  I know I could do a better job of managing and cleaning house but in reality 100% of my time is not needed here at home.  I am ready to contribute monetarily.  I might only say these things because my chosen profession is teaching so I will have all the same days off as they have give or take a few.  Really one of the best profession choices for a mom that wants to be home with their kids.

Then my thought go to that fact I actually spent more time in college than in my field of study.  Somedays I joke and say I am an overeducated housewife and somedays that fact irks me.  Then I think how blessed I am to be an overeducated housewife and be content.

Then my thoughts stray to my past.  How I was labeled a potential drop out.  I sat wondering how in the world I ended up in the teaching field when labeled a potential drop out. Then how a potential drop out ends up in college for 6 years and two degrees.  The only thing I can come up with is that my personality will not let someone tell me I am a failure or that I have the potential to fail. Those words are harsh. I told you I am all over the place today. The mind is a slippery slope.

Then I started to think about actually going back to teaching.  I have not been in the classroom for 10 years. That is longer than I was in the classroom.  I feel like I am starting all over.  Technology has changed a lot in 10 years.  This year our school district is going to all digital media for textbooks, k -12th grade.  The only advantage I might have next year is that it will still be pretty new.  It is nice to meet other teachers that took 10 to 15 years to be home for their families.  It gives me hope that I can adjust and get a job.

In the ten years I have been a stay at home mom our household income has increased making it not necessary for me to work and continue to live a pretty nice lifestyle. Plus the hubby likes having this luxury in life too.  I do a lot for us as a family.  If I go back to work everyone is going to have to do more and my husband knows this more than anyone.  I don't mind doing the family appointments and running kids here and there, that is my job.  If I work outside of the home someone else might have to stay home if someone is sick, or take off early to make an appointment.

So all that to say here I am in year two of not working but sending my kids to school.  I hope to manage my time better than last year.  I do plan on working on my state certification which will mean studying, testing and paperwork.  I am excited about what this year has in store for us.  I hope to treat this year as my last hurrah before becoming a working mom.  I have big plans for going back to work but I will hold off until I actually get a job to share.  

Comments

Stacie said…
I'll be praying for this transitional time in your life, Heather!

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

NaNoWriMo & Supplies

What do you really need for NaNoWriMo?  I like using my Mac and Microsoft Word.  It is that plain and simple. A computer, text editing program and time will get you 50,000 words. Some people do hand write their novel during NaNoWriMo, or so I hear.  I know I will not hand write my novel. Then you have to count all those words. My fingers and hands can't do it.  It is painful to type at times but hand writing is more painful to me.  Plus, my procrastination side will never count handwritten words.  I started to write this blog many hours ago (now yesterday).  It also happens to be the weekend and my computer guy (by computer guy I mean my husband) decided to help me find some storage space on my hard drive today.  I would love a new Mac Book Pro but that is not in the budget and I really don't have time to learn a new computer days before NaNoWriMo. About a week ago I started to get start up memory warnings on my computer. Not what a girl wants to see two weeks before

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.