Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Supplies

What do you really need for NaNoWriMo?  I like using my Mac and Microsoft Word.  It is that plain and simple. A computer, text editing program and time will get you 50,000 words.

Some people do hand write their novel during NaNoWriMo, or so I hear.  I know I will not hand write my novel. Then you have to count all those words. My fingers and hands can't do it.  It is painful to type at times but hand writing is more painful to me.  Plus, my procrastination side will never count handwritten words. 

I started to write this blog many hours ago (now yesterday).  It also happens to be the weekend and my computer guy (by computer guy I mean my husband) decided to help me find some storage space on my hard drive today.  I would love a new Mac Book Pro but that is not in the budget and I really don't have time to learn a new computer days before NaNoWriMo.

About a week ago I started to get start up memory warnings on my computer. Not what a girl wants to see two weeks before NaNoWriMo. Two important things come to mind with this warning on my computer. One have a backup plan for if your computer decides to act up. Two is most important, BACK UP YOUR WORK!  I put mine an a flash drive, an external hard drive and email it to myself on occasion.

Saturday mornings post painfully became Sunday night.  The good news is I have 23 more GB of storage on my computer and hopefully I don't manage to turn on any more podcasts that take up valuable space, download things and leave them in limbo or double upload pictures from my camera,  oops. Most of my pictures are now backed up on two different external hard drives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...