Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Peeps

peeps
pēps/
noun informal

  1. people (often used to refer to a person's friends or associates).
    "thanks for the feedback, peeps!"

If you choose to do NaNoWriMo you have got to explain to the ones you love and cherish what you are doing in November. The more warnings the better. I told my husband a year before I started NaNoWriMo that I wanted to do a month writing challange and explained the details. I didn’t talk about it all year but once October came around I started to talk more about NaNoWriMo. I talked about it so much my second year that my kids wanted to do NaNoWriMo too. It was fun to do some writing prep with my kids. 

My oldest has already set a goal for this year.  If you have kids you should check out the Young Writers Program.  They can set word goals. I like encouraging my kids to write with me. It might even help me justify writing on Saturday and Sunday when I have a kid or two around writing stories.  There are worse things to do on a Saturday and Sunday.  This challenge gives them a purpose to write.    

Yesterday I posted on Facebook a shout out for cheerleaders. My form of a warning. I am letting all my friends know I will be writing again in November. Finding peeps that will cheer you on is fun for you. It also gives you some accountability. Can't put it out to the world and fail. That is tragic and also gives you some inner motivation to write. It is scary to put it out to everyone, but it works.  

Family and friend need to know that you will have to make choices. It could be to write or go out to dinner. Writing or go to a movie. Writing or go shopping with your best friend. It isn’t that you don’t want to go to a movie or shopping but if it can wait until December, wait! 

My husband this year said to me, “you should get that done in October before NaNoWriMo.” Three years into it and he gets it. There is little time for much else but writing. I can do a movie marathons in December. TIVO is great for recording weekly TV shows. Use that DVR! Winter is upon us and there will be plenty of cold nights for catching up on TV. Once you finish your 50,000 you will be glad you gave up some fun time for the reward of 50,000 words.  

With all that said, you do have some choices to go out and have some fun. Just make sure you keep up with your word goals. I went on a four day, three night field trip with my middle child last year.  The first few days of November.  I knew this and planned accordingly and still got to 50,000 words.  It can be done! 

No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty (founder of National Writing Month) gives you idea on how to get your friends and family interested and keep you motivated. If you have not read, No Plot? No Problem! I would try to get a copy it is a easy read and very encouraging to read in October before you take on what might seem impossible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...