Skip to main content

One Word Can Actually Make a Difference

I choose not to work. I do understand that people don't have a choice and have to work outside of the home for a pay check to buy food and shelter.  One parent in my house must work. I also feel some don't really have to work and choose to work for luxury items.  I have talked to people that say there is no way they could be a stay at home parent and choose to go to work.

Why do we as parents belittle each other in our choices.  Recently on Facebook (some say a necessary evil, but I think it is just evil) A parent commented   "...for the parent that actually works".  Wow, only one word makes that sentence sting.  I try not to let these words on Facebook hurt me or give them a second thought but I am a wordy person and I think about words.  The sentence takes a different tone if it was written, "for the parent that works".  The word "actually" implies negative things to those that don't work.

For the parent that works I understand that a 30 minute delay in school start time is a burden. I am not going to apologize because I can get my kid to school at 7:30 AM, 8:30 AM or even 10 AM if the school system chooses to change the daily schedule.  This is one reason why I choose to stay home. It might actually behoove you to make nicey-nice with a nonworking parent and not trample them with your word.  Just one word, that is all it took for me not to like you.  One word.

Honestly 99% of the parents that don't work would have picked up your kid for school if you would have just been nice and asked for help.  Probably 50% or more of the working parents that have flexible schedules would have helped you too.

For the working parent that feels this way about the ones that don't, have you ever stopped to think that while you are "actually working" some of the parents that don't are filling the gap during the day at your kids school? When your little Johnny goes to the school library, who is there helping them check out a book?  When the band goes on a bus ride and they need an adult to ride the bus, guess who is sitting on the hot bus? When the class is going on a field trip and needs a chaperone, just who is there again to fill the need?  Overnight trip that needs parents, guess who can go herd cats for the three nights?  When you call the school and a parent answers the phone, guess who? These parents that don't "actually work" work very hard for free and are really helping you work for a pay check.

Before the parent that works and volunteers comments, just hold your horses.  I know there are parents that work a paying job that run circles around me in the way of volunteering.  I want to know, do these parents sleep?  Super stars in my opinion.  More power to you.  I am not going to feel bad because I don't do more.

One word can hurt.  I'm not saying that changes in your schedule are not important or aren't stressful.  I'm just sitting here thinking about how one word can hurt and to remind everyone to choose your words wisely.  It takes a village, stop running around with a torch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the

NaNoWriMo & Supplies

What do you really need for NaNoWriMo?  I like using my Mac and Microsoft Word.  It is that plain and simple. A computer, text editing program and time will get you 50,000 words. Some people do hand write their novel during NaNoWriMo, or so I hear.  I know I will not hand write my novel. Then you have to count all those words. My fingers and hands can't do it.  It is painful to type at times but hand writing is more painful to me.  Plus, my procrastination side will never count handwritten words.  I started to write this blog many hours ago (now yesterday).  It also happens to be the weekend and my computer guy (by computer guy I mean my husband) decided to help me find some storage space on my hard drive today.  I would love a new Mac Book Pro but that is not in the budget and I really don't have time to learn a new computer days before NaNoWriMo. About a week ago I started to get start up memory warnings on my computer. Not what a girl wants to see two weeks before