Skip to main content

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends.

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah.

2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook.

3. Posting fake news.

4. Making a comment I hope that you would never say to someones face.

5. Obscure postings. The too little information kind.  Like you have gone through a divorce and did not post it publicly or posted anything for almost year but posted publicly when you are engaged to another person.  Um, what just happened?  I was so confused.  I also realized that if I don't know what happened or that they are dating I am really not their friend.

6. Parent/School drama ~ reading the weekly newsletter without comment is so much more enjoyable.

7. The lack of filters. You know I really don't need to see the girlfriends special belly dance for your birthday present. I think I just threw up in my mouth having to relive that video.

8.  Is the giraffe going to have the baby today?

9. Over zealous and trying to win me to your point of view everyday, multiple times a day.

10. Pot stirring

I didn't want to be the person to announce to the world I was taking a Facebook break. I applaud those people that take time off of social media. Although, I do see an increase in other social media outlets when people do announce a break. I have been on Instagram and Twitter more in the past month. I usually only use Twitter during NaNoWriMo months and have posted a few times in the past 20 days. I also have had in increase in my Candy Crushing. I have found other useless things to fill my Facebook time.

The prompting of my logging off was two fold. I found I was going to the computer to renew books at the library and getting on Facebook instead and not doing what I needed to do online. Then when someone posted a fake news article, I lost it. She recently started a water filtration business and she posted an article about water having been recalled due to large clear parasites. All in attempt to make her product look appealing. The picture with the article didn't look right to me. I did a little research and even Coca-Cola had an article on this being fake news. The sad part is that someone had already shared the article on Facebook. Spreading fake news, boo!  If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

I really started to get annoyed in November on small business Saturday. I'm sorry, if you have bought into Rodan & Fields and claim a small business status and then post how the company you work for is a Fortune 500 company that just doesn't add up. I can't find them on the Fortune 500 list so not sure why I see those posts. I really don't understand how a billion dollar business is a small company.  I read on average an individual consultant only makes up to $3000 a year, newbies $750.  If you need the $3000 or love the product great. To claim small business status makes me irritable. It makes me cringe for the girl who started a jewelry shop with her own money, an artist that makes hand-written works of art, the mom and pop shop that sells toys. They are small business!  Not LuLaRue, Scentsy, or 31.

Bottom line is you are making money for someone else with a benefit of your own hours and extra cash. You can not convince me you are a small business. You have bought into a larger company and make extra cash selling something for someone else. Genius marketing. Rodan and Fields realized the power of social media to sell their product and use you to do it.  They changed from Pro-active infomercial to you selling on social media.

Which leads me to my next annoyance. Someone asked me to be their friend on Facebook and I accepted but all they post is Rodan & Fields. Multiple post a day peddling. The sad part is some of these people I really like and I don't want to unfriend them or hurt their feelings with a comment like this blog so I tolerated it all until March 1st. One post a day is really more than enough. Another person I was friends with never posted on Facebook but started to send me private messages about the same products. That was just weird.

Then there are the people that stir the pot. These people are almost never on Facebook until they want to cause drama. You know the ones. Sometimes I get mixed up in the emotions of the post but really it never does anyone any good. It just ruffles my feathers and gets me all worked up about something I usually can't do anything about or is just flat out bad information.

Maybe it is just me but sometimes I can see how narrow minded someone is and fight not to comment.  For example when someone posted a comment about Trump and the education comment he made at inauguration with a very narrow viewpoint I was like dude, you're wrong. Globally we spend a lot of money on education and we are not the top globally in education, that is a problem. I am not saying we couldn't spend more on education but on a global scale we do spend a lot of money without the desired outcome. Although I know better to comment. What is the point of social media if you are afraid to be social or comment?

Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf?  I get that we all have our passions. One bible verse a day is good. Don't need five in a row, everyday. I am all about awareness but everyday in your face about subjects that are only an interest to you is annoying. No one is going to listen to you after a while.

Clearly no one really misses me. Only one person texted me but she knew I logged off Facebook.  Almost 8 years ago we moved 650 miles from home. Facebook was good for when I was missing people but the people I want to keep up with are rarely on Facebook. Overall I am a happier person with more time to waste elsewhere, like writing on my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the