Skip to main content

Memories

Today I remembered something from fifth grade.  It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but in my world I was surprised at the timing. Earlier in the day I was reading Modern Library Writer's Workshop A Guide to the Craft of Fiction by Stephen Koch. I read the first part of chapter two, The Writing Life. It is odd that the day I read about remembering and what writers do to remember I had a flashback. Just hours later I had this moment when I was visited by a shadow of my past when I least expected it.  Proof a writer should always have a notepad. 

I am taking a student for math lessons starting tomorrow. It isn't that they can't do the work. They don't want to do the work. I get it. Math in fourth and fifth grade, although easy as an adult is tedious as a child. I have been researching the why behind the inevitable phrase,  "show your work".   Long division is, long.  It takes time and seems pointless to a 9 or 10 year old kid.  I want my students to understand the why we do math and not just the idea that it is all about the right answer.  

I came across a lot of good information but one high school teacher put it in such a way that it changed the way I think about the phrase,"show your work".  Showing your work to get the right answer is not "showing your work" but proving your answer is right. We make kids do long division because we know it helps them understand the process better and helps with long term memory, etc. Telling kids to show their work is not anything I will say again.  Prove your answer is correct might be my new phrase.  Show me why your answer is correct, could be silly but is different than "show your work".  

My research started Friday and math was on my mind. Today after I read about remembering and taking the time to just remember I had this moment where I was back in fifth grade and my teacher wanted me to show them how I did my subtracting with regrouping. I remember being at the blackboard with chalk, which was a rare occasion in my schooling. I can remember where his desk was and how the tables were set up. He asked me and another student to stay back from art, music or PE some class outside of our normal class time. I was a bus rider so it wasn't after school. I remember it was me, another student or two. He would write a problem on the board and ask me to solve it. I would do it my way, which is not a standard way to do subtraction but a method to get an answer. I remember him in awe of the way I got the right answer every time. I couldn't explain why I did it the way I did but I could show how I got the right answer. I didn't know any different and the method I used always worked for me. He wanted to see me work out problems. He was trying to see what I was thinking. 

I am not sure where I learned the method but after some research I did find the method I used. At  some point I learned the traditional method to regrouping in subtraction because as a future teacher I had to do the traditional method that was textbook appropriate. I will not say the "right" way because the way I did subtraction was not wrong. Just different. It wan't until I was in my 20's that I started to do subtraction the traditional way. It wasn't until I was in the classroom for a few years before I realized what I had done as a child was an acceptable way to do subtraction just not the traditional way it was thought in class. No one questioned me until fifth grade and he didn't try to make me learn a different way.  

Today when I had this memory I was on a mission to find the method I used. I found it and printed it out.  I posted the first two methods.  Method A is traditional regrouping and Method B is the one I used. The handout I found had six different ways and I learned in other countries they have different methods as their standard.  I am not 100 percent surprised by the memory but it did take me by surprise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the