Skip to main content

Small Still Voice

Last week I had a thought, "do this".  It was and idea to do something for someone else.  At first I thought it was a great idea.  I started to think about it more and that is where I got myself in trouble.  I starting to think to myself how silly my idea was.  I also started to think about what the other person might think or say.  I thought about it so much I completely talked myself out of doing it.

A week goes by and today I am listening to the Christian afternoon DJ.  I like him because he challenges you.  I listen to him almost daily as I cook dinner and clean up the kitchen.  Today he was challenging people to call in and tell about a time that you talked yourself out of helping someone and the lesson you learned.  As I listened to these stories I couldn't help to think about my small still voice last week that said, "do this".  I think I  talked myself out of blessing someone else for the fear of looking silly.

I do believe in God.  I can't help but wonder if the idea was not my own, but that small still voice that Elijah heard in the old testament.  Not an actual small voice whispering in my ear, but an idea that is not my own.  I feel like I might have just missed the bus on this one.  The good news is I didn't completely miss the bus.  I think I just got a second chance to do it right this time.

Tonight I got a phone call from someone out of the blue that told me just enough to hear, "DO IT!". Believe me this time I'm doing it.  What I am trying to say it this, don't be a fool like me.  When you have a crazy idea just do it.  You may not get a second chance.  Even crazier is this, it might not be your idea at all.  I don't think that the radio conversation was just for me today.  I know it was just for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...