Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo Day 5

Now that I am more confident in my story I wanted to post a blog. I wish I could do one everyday during NaNoWriMo but I have a word count goal to meet everyday and blogging doesn't count.

I am behind, like done in April behind. I work best under pressure. Time crunches are my favorite fuel other than coffee. It is sad to me that I know this and admit it openly. My book will get done and it will be late on the last night when I put my story in to verify word counts.

I am writing! Just not the word counts I need to stay on track for the due date. At some point last year my estimated date to finish was January of 2016, in November of 2014. I still "won" so even though the graphs and data are fun to watch it can be daunting to see.  I am here to shout....

You can win!  

The good news it is only day 5. I am a pantser and I really didn't plan anything in October. I have a list of things I like and use that to fuel my writing. Day 3 was the first day I had the feeling I have something worth finishing. It took me days to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last year I didn't start until the end of week one. I knew I was going to be out of town on a trip that requried my full attention. The role of chaperone is not an easy job. Three night field trip required me to be a mom to a lot of girls that week and I still "won".  These facts might not help me because it might give me a false confidence that it could be done again this year.

I know this is frowned upon in NaNoWriMo land but I started a story on November 1st and I disliked. I really could not see where to go and how to finish. On day two I started over.  Yeah, wouldn't recommend it. I will not count the first two days so I lost word counts for two days but I know now I have a story I can finish.

I have always liked the quote I found on Pinterest.......


On day two I found myself in the wrong story. Fighting what I have been wanting to write all along. Somehow willing myself away from where I wanted and needed to be. Once I stopped fighting it all started to work for me. I know I can finish my story before the deadline, if only I would sit and write.  

I say all this because even though I lost the precious word counts that are the gold of November, I learned something about me as a writer. If I find myself in the wrong story, leave. I would not have had the learning experience of making a choice of leaving a story had I never even started to write. Those words matter just not for NaNoWriMo. They could end up being the most important words I wrote this year. 

Always look for the positive during NaNoWriMo it is a powerful fuel for writing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

One Word Can Actually Make a Difference

I choose not to work. I do understand that people don't have a choice and have to work outside of the home for a pay check to buy food and shelter.  One parent in my house must work. I also feel some don't really have to work and choose to work for luxury items.  I have talked to people that say there is no way they could be a stay at home parent and choose to go to work. Why do we as parents belittle each other in our choices.  Recently on Facebook (some say a necessary evil, but I think it is just evil) A parent commented   "...for the parent that actually works".  Wow, only one word makes that sentence sting.  I try not to let these words on Facebook hurt me or give them a second thought but I am a wordy person and I think about words.  The sentence takes a different tone if it was written, "for the parent that works".  The word "actually" implies negative things to those that don't work. For the parent that works I understand that a 30 ...