Skip to main content

Make Up Your Mind

"I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear." ~Rosa Parks 

One of my biggest writing blocks is fear. This quote today just hit me like a ton of bricks. Maybe it is my age, my position in life or that today was the day that I needed to read these words of wisdom. I have not even tried to write since NaNoWriMo.  

I did start a new journal January 1st but I only got a couple of days in and was already not writing daily. A good book will do that to you. My friend recommended a series that I can not put down. Makes me think about a quote I read that says something like, nothing renders me useless like a really good book. I want to write one of those!  I want my written word to render someone useless. 

Life just happens to me sometimes. I am a mother of three kids, my oldest is now a teen. Things do come up suddenly but I need to take my life back. No more blaming life for my lack of disciple. My lack of sitting at a computer and writing is my own demise. I have to make up my mind to write. I make plenty of time for other things in life that are less important to me.  

I really do want to write. I think about writing but I hardly sit and write. I do make an occasional note like yesterday when the sun finally popped out of the clouds and a rainbow appeared in the sky. I think about how I would write that into a book and take a few notes and go on with my day.  

I can not wait for NaNoWriMo in November to be a writer for a month and then not write again until next November. So today I am making up my mind to write. Maybe not daily but I am going to think about my priorities and set a realistic goal. I feel like my life should have more day that I have sat down to write and not the other way around. As I sit here wondering where a whole month went without a written word is not what I want.  I want more days of writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...