Skip to main content

Total Money Makeover

EEKS!  I finally decided to read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.  I'm not seeing the end result being one we can achieve unless I go back to work.  Mark and I have worked our way to zero car payments, we have been and continue to be credit card debt free.  We refinanced the house for 15 years and are actually saving money monthly but paying off the house faster.

I can dig the step 1, step 2 (because I don't need to do them) Step 3 is taken care of, Step 4 is not what Dave says it should be but we are making contributions to 401k and we have a Roth IRA and saving for retirement.  Step 5 is a thought we have on occasion, saving for the kids college fund.  Step 6 is more appealing than the college fund, paying off the house.  Step 7 is give, give, give which I can totally dig.  

After reading the book I am feeling pretty good about our financial state.  Mark and I are NOT normal.  Weird is okay for me in this area.  The statistics blow me away.  I can't believe Mark and I have managed not going into more debt other than new cars and a very, very small student loan that we paid off before I even graduated college.

We budget, we follow it, we have very little left over.  What are we doing wrong?  We own both our cars so we have zero car payments  We feel like there is not a whole lot of wiggle room to do other than survive. We are a little over in the house payment vs income ratio.  Which he says to stay at 25% of you income.  Although we are not in debt and do have money left over it is not what Dave Ramsey would consider Step 4, 5 and 6.  I guess you do what you can and stay out of debt.  My kids are going to have to stay home and go to community college.  Unless they can get a scholarship or I go back to work.

Don't get me wrong I am trying to cut costs in many areas.  I have tried consignment shopping for the kids without much luck.  I have sacrificed cable TV for years.  Although I don't consider it a sacrifice anymore.  Blessed to not have a billion channels to surf, selling me things I can't afford or even need.  I do have my first ever "smart" phone but canceled the home phone. We pay more for the cell but not bank breaking.  I feel like without two car payments that we should be able to afford this luxury in life.  Maybe my attitude of being able to afford the luxury is what gets us to break even and not get ahead.

Stay at home mom or college?  Stay at home mom or retirement fund?  Stay at home mom or house paid in full?  Bottom line is this, is being a stay at home mom more important to my kids or financial stability. The only way I see us getting ahead is for me to work.  I'm I wrong?  If I am wrong, someone show me the error of my ways.  I love being a mom but I want to be 100% debt free too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...