Skip to main content

No Sew Ribbon Valance


I couldn't find a valence to match my daughters pink and black Paris themed room that didn't cost my husband a lot of his hard earned money. I wanted an inexpensive yet girly look to hide the roller shade. I also don't like to sew.  Although, I was going to sew but I couldn't find material to match either.  So one day I accidentally found Eiffel Tower pink and black ribbon. You all know the great accidental find, the one while roaming around aimlessly at the local craft store you when you find what you had NOT been looking for. Of course you fall in love and buy it knowing that one day you will use it for some project. After months of sitting around I started to google ribbon curtains and found some similar ideas but then my idea took on a life of its own, no sew!  

Materials
After this picture I took a couple trips back to the store to get different ribbon. Who buys all their needs for a project on the first trip?

I ended up with...

2 rolls of 9 yard, 1.5 inch Paris and white with black dots
1 roll of 15 yard, 1.5 inch black shear and light pink shear
1 roll of  15 yard, 7/8 inch hot pink
1 roll of 15 feet, 7/8 inch black with pink hearts.

Total 8 rolls of ribbon. Depending on all the variables you might buy more or less. I had no idea this project was going to exercise the basic math skills.

I got it all the ribbon for 50% off and spent a little over $15. Each window cost about $18 with the curtain rod.

Since I knew nothing about ribbon I learned a ton on this project. Patterned ribbon comes in a smaller yard amounts. I was really thrown when I got home and I had a 15 ft roll.  They even change from yards to ft?  For example, the shear black ribbon you get 15 yards per roll. The fancy Eiffel Tower is only 9 yard rolls. Then the black with pink hearts was only 15 feet!  Just an FYI for you new to ribbon.

For this project it didn't seem to matter if it had wire or not.

Close up

I used 31, 24 inch strips of ribbon. I found that 1.5 inch ribbon when looped over and not pulled too tight will take up about an inch if put on a 1/2 inch curtain rod. Simple math right. 30 inch window you need about 30 strips of 1.5 inch ribbon.  

I had to get a little fancy with my pattern . I worked from each end to the middle. I started at one end and mirrored it on the other end.  My self diagnosed OCD would not allow a ABCD ABCD pattern because the color on each end of the rod would be different.  GASP! So I did ABCD ABCD DCBA DCBA  I hung an E and F in the pattern every once in a while.  Let me repost the top picture so the visual people, like me can see.  E is about middle. Black with two hot pink on each side.    

                                                                ABCD  E  DCBA
Okay so let talk knots. This next part might be clear as mud. Apparently, I used the lark's head knot. 
I laid the ribbon on the table so it was even on both ends, pattern toward the table. I slipped the ends of the ribbon under the curtain rod. Loop toward me.
I then took the ends and slipped them threw the loop.  This is a normal larks head knot.  You can do it reverse which is not the look you will want.  I had to redo a few.


Clear as mud right?  Well at least you know the name of the knot and can google for it. I trimmed up the lose ends and that is it.  So easy, inexpensive and I love them!

If I had to do it over again I would make the ribbon longer. I think most valances are about 15 inches so I would make the ribbon 30 inches long instead of 24. I did 24 because it was an even way to cut 9 yards. I tried to keep the math simple and buy as little as possible without having left over materials.

Comments

Nicole said…
love love love love this!!!!!! I've seen them before but the ribbon you found was perfect. That encourages me to hold on to stuff that I am hording though. :(

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the