Skip to main content

2nd Grade

I am happy to report that my first grader is going to second grade for reading and math.  I feel like I should have taken a picture of her first day of second grade. EEKS!  Oh well, life will go on. Although this is my middle child and this might be the flub that ruins her life.

She has more homework but is adjusting.  We have had one incident since she started leaving her class.  The nosey little boy next to her would not let it go and figured out where she was going everyday.  Alex didn't want her class to know that she was going up a grade.  Well this little guy is like a cat, curious. He apparently went through her desk while she was gone one day and connected the dots. Confronted her on the playground (sounds all made up but this is real). Some nasty words were exchanged something along the lines of, "so you think you are smarter than everyone here." Then started to tell the whole class where she was going.  Since she was not feeling well her reaction was less than desirable.  Not sure what changed in a day but she said the boy apologized a lot the next day.  The teacher must have talked with him.

The next step is for the powers that be to make an informed decision on if she can be moved up a grade. The reason why she is going up a grade is one to challenge her, see what she really can do, see how she gets along with the older kids.  Overall to gather much needed information.  I have done my part for now.  I am pleased with the results and can't wait for our late April meeting.  I write all this on a soap box but also to say that each parent is their child's advocate.  If you will not advocate for them who will?  Be that parent!  Not one that makes outrageous requests but one who asks questions, collects data and then asks the powers that be what can be done.  I found that approaching this from a collecting data stand point on your student and then ask what to do with your student works much better than finding research to support your wants for your kid.

Teachers are professionals and will do what is best for your student.  Trust them to make the educational decisions needed. It might not be moving your kid up a grade.  It might be different work in class.  We did that for a while. Teachers are willing to help when you are willing to help.  You are a part of this process too.  Don't rely 100% for the teacher to do what is needed everyday.  They have 20 to 25 kids in the class.  It has taken many emails, phone calls and a lot of work at home to meet the needs of my student.  I know what she doesn't know and we work on those skills.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the