Skip to main content

50,000 words

I have been reading a lot about writing. If I don't actually write my 50,000 words in November for NaNoWrMo at least have learned something about writing. I do have an idea for my novel that has me doing research. I have learned other things besides how to write fiction in the past month which is good.  I love the idea of learning something new everyday. I hope that I have enough time in November for this challenge but I am afriad that I will not be able to write as much as I want.

I think this month I will sit and write a short story one day just to see how long it takes me to write x amount of words. When I look at the logical words per day I am a little nervous. If I work everyday at my novel I will have to write at least 1,666.66667 words a day. I'm not superstitious but all those 6's make me nervous!

I do not want to put my family on hold for 30 days. I just can't. They would never allow it. I still have plans to go to library duty at the kids school.  I volunteer at a nonprofit which requires at least 30 minutes a week. I will have to cut fluff from my day. I find myself playing a game on my phone and say to myself, "I can't do this in November". Watching TV is out of the question. There is a 1/2 day of school in November that will mess me up unless I write a lot in the morning. My oldest has a big trip the end of November so packing will be required. Plus there is a three day holiday called Thanksgiving! I really should plan on 26 days and not 30. Which is closer to 2,000 words a day.

2,000 isn't so bad. Most of my college papers had to be 2,000. I can do this! People do it every year. It doesn't have to be a great story it is all about word count. 50,000 words, not a Pulitzer.  That is what I have to keep telling myself.

I have found Pinterest to be a great tool. A source of inspiration and a great place to store ideas on a hidden board for me only. I have an idea for setting that just works with my whole idea for my novel. Posting pictures that go with my setting is wonderful. A source for when I have writers block. You aren't supposed to write during this time but character and settings can be researched. That is what I have been doing. I have a notebook full of ideas that hopefully will get me through the hard writing days. In the end the ideas go with my setting but might not be great for the plot.

I still am not 100% sure of my plot because I am not sure which way to go young adult, adult fiction, children's fiction. As I write I hope it becomes clear. I would really like to write a book my girls would enjoy. I will say it again I just need 50,000, it doesn't matter if the plot is good or awful.

Thinking about writing a novel does get you thinking about great book that have already been written. J.K. Rowling hit a land mine on her plot and characterization. How did Jane Austen write with such understanding of human relationship and emotion? J.R.R Tolkien, enough said. I wonder if I am to simplistic to write a book that captures the emotion and hearts of a reader. It would be nice to get something published one day but for now I will just focus on 50,000 words.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the