Skip to main content

Box of Chocolates

Yeah, never know what or when you will get a post. I really wish I would keep up with this blog but I don't. I sometimes wonder if starting a new blog is what I should do. Box of Chocolates was my first attempt at blogging and served a purpose many years ago. Now I find it to be my younger self neglected with age.

I recently started a math blog thinking narrowing down the topic would help but I never post there. I also have craft blog and hardly post there too. I love to write, I crave writing time. I am about to start a new writing project but I needed to write today. I just wanted to write words, type my thoughts, publish the outcome.

I started a book in November. I signed up to do NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. The goal is 50,000 words in 30 days. I think it is a great nonprofit organization and if I was teaching in a classroom we would do it as a class.

I wrote 50,000 words plus a few in one continuous story line. I really enjoyed the intentional sitting down and writing for a goal everyday. When I was done I didn't like much of what I wrote. Once I got to 30,000 words I was not going to give up. As much as I didn't like the story, I was half way to my goal so I kept on writing. Once November was over and my goal met I started to write less everyday.

December is so busy. January and February are full of snow days. For me snow days are not great writing days because there are three to four extra people in the house.  January and February have come and gone. March is here and I was just about to give up when CampNaNo started to send me emails. April has another writing challenge!  Just in time of my wondering heart. I really started to miss November the goals to word counts the need to write and needed November to get here quicker.

For months I think and listen to things differently. I suppose it is all the process of a writer. When we had a bad ice storm this winter I went outside to listen to the frozen rain just to listen and see if I could remember the sound for if I ever need to write a ice storm into a story.  I watch people and pay attention to my surroundings what things sound like, what they smell like.  I think about my next main character and what they will be like, there likes and dislikes, the color of their hair, their passions and goals in life.  The problem is I think about it and hardly write.  With just days to go I hope all the thinking will pay off at the end of April.

Here is to another 50,000!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...