Skip to main content

Commitment Issues

I have always dreamed of writing a book. I am learning through the whole process of being a writer that I have commitment issues with the written word. For example, I only write with a pencil. When I am jotting notes down in one of my many beloved notebooks it is never in pen. Not a permanent idea on paper, just a penciled in note that can be changed at anytime.

When I signed up on NaNoWriMo's website I made a pseudonym. Just another way to hide. I don't want people to know who I am or that my name is associated with my written words.

Another eye opener for me is when I bought a workbook recently and I was so excited when it came to my doorstep but then I let it sit around for a few days before I wrote in it, with my pencil of course. I was so excited about my writing workbook I went to Pinterest to read quotes about writing to post on my inspiration board. Just an other way I don't commit to the written word. When I spend hours dreaming of writing but not actually writing is a little bothersome to me. I have the time to write but I find myself reading about writing or reading quotes from authors about writing but not actually writing. I might have read more about writing and the process than actually writing.  

Maybe this is the hurtle that needs to be jumped.  I think I have narrowed it down to fear.  The bad guy, the devil on my shoulder is myself.  My self doubt, my fears of being judged, my negative thoughts that I am not smart enough or that I don't have a great imagination. I can talk myself out of writing because the idea is not good enough or the character doesn't have a clever name.  I let myself be my own enemy.  

I need to make a list of all my negative thoughts and just toss them to the wind. Although, maybe I need to do the opposite and list all the things in a positive statement and keep them as a reminder to me to just write without fear. Otherwise I my never write a book worthy of publishing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...