Skip to main content

Paragraph

A friend in the past year told me I had to read a book called, Outlander.  I didn't buy it for a while then one day Amazon had this flash sale of seven books in the series for Kindle.  I jumped on the deal as soon as my friend posted it on my Facebook page. I still didn't start to read the series but knew I got a good deal and would start it one day. Well, that one day was near the end of 2015 and I just started book 4.


I didn't know what to expect.  I didn't even read what the series was about or any reviews.  I was just going on my friends word that it was a must read. Diana Gaboldon, wow! She writes like I want to write. I will be honest it has some content that is shocking to me but her words and the no hold back writing makes me want to read more.
I have fallen in love with a fictional character.  I told my friend that recommended the book if Jamie dies, our friendship will too. That was in book one. Recently Diana Gaboldon posted on Facebook about when she started to write Outlander I love this part...

"So when I made up my mind to write a novel, I did have the security of knowing that I knew how to write.  I was not worried about my ability to handle grammar, spelling or puncuation, and I knew what a paragraph is." 

These words jumped out of the post.  I know what a paragraph is too! I need to remember that I need to write for me and forget the world. I think Diana had it right from the beginning even though she never intended for anyone to read Outlander.  I need to write like no one will ever read my story.  I think that is why I love her story so much, it wasn't written for me, it was written for Diana.  I'm glad she shared her story with us, I can't put it down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...