Skip to main content

Road Trip


Grand Canyon 2015

I love to travel. Two summers ago we took a 4,000+ mile road trip west that was the hands down best trip I have ever taken with my kids. A million times better than our Disney trip. Did the van get to small some days? Yes. Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat. The summer before going out west we did a tour of Florida. We started in the Panhandle to Key Largo back up the east coast to Saint Augustine, with many stops in between.  

At the time we went out west my kids were 9, 10 and 12. My kids two years later are still talking about our trip. It often comes up because of school. One day my son's class was learning about Mesa Verde and the teacher asked if anyone had ever been and my son was the only one to raise his hand.  This has come up a number of times in the past two years. My kids are the only one in class to raise their hands when asked about different locations in the USA.

Recently my daughter has had to study the Little Rock Nine and we have been to the high school. I tell you this because the day we went to the Little Rock Central High School we had planned on diamond mining in Arkansas but it was raining. Since we were going to spend a lot of time in the car we decided to go to the National Monument instead because mud and four hours in a car was not a good mix.  Completely unplanned but in hind sight I am so glad because my daughter has stood on the corner of the crossroads and has peeked in the windows of the front door (It was Sunday and the school was closed). The museum was open though.  She has an experience not many, or any others have had in her class. Don't be discouraged by plan B.

I am writing this to encourage you to go out and take a road trip with your kids. We took two weeks and drove from Alabama to California and back. 16 states and 8 National Parks. This doesn't include state parks, national monuments and every other crazy stop we took over two weeks. We learned a lot about our country and traveling.


Travel Tips

Buy an annual pass to our National Parks and stop at as many as you can! It cost less than one Disney ticket and good for every park and national monument in our country.

Buy an old fashion Rand McNally map.

Decide how long at a time you want to be traveling. We tried to keep the travel time to around 4 hours at a time.  This was the longest we wanted to be in the car.  We would try to do something in the morning were we stayed the night, drive for a few hours and do something else and then drive to our nightly destination.

Sometimes we would arrive in enough time to do something extra so have a list of other things you can do in the next town.  For example we got to New Mexico early and got to add one more National Monument to the list.  Extra is good.  Unexpected is good.  Don't be afraid of the unknown.  That is half the fun.

I found Trip Advisor to have the best lists of things to do with reviews. We went to a Museum of Osteology (study of bone structure) in Oklahoma.  It is a museum full of skeletons from all kinds of animals. It is the only one in the world.  I don't feel like I would have found this place without Trip Advisor.

Plan on rainy days.  Have a plan B before you leave your house.

Call places to confirm hours.  We ran into a late opening because of a holiday and it was not on their website.

This is a no brainer, have things to do in the car. Two of us really liked Smash books by K&Company.  It is a type of scrapbook and was fun to put all our pamphlets and to buy postcards to use in our books.  Cheap and fun way to remember a trip and take up the dreaded travel time in the car.

We had a cooler with lunch and snacks. Almost everyday we ate lunch in the car.  It was easy to cut travel time. Eating one meal in the car and not spending more money going to fast food is a plus too.

Talk to people before you go. You will get great information if you toss it out on Facebook.  I found out from a friend to stop before you get into the Great Sand Dunes and rent a sandboard, like a snowboard.  It was the #1 thing my son liked on our trip.  Didn't know about this until I put it out of Facebook and was my sons favorite activity.

I want to share and encourage you to go on a road trip this summer and will post more in the coming month. It only took me weeks to plan.  Don't think it is too late.  It is not, just sit down and start your trip on Google maps.  Enter you starting point and find something four hours away.  You will have to make hard choices but some of America is better than nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the

NaNoWriMo & Supplies

What do you really need for NaNoWriMo?  I like using my Mac and Microsoft Word.  It is that plain and simple. A computer, text editing program and time will get you 50,000 words. Some people do hand write their novel during NaNoWriMo, or so I hear.  I know I will not hand write my novel. Then you have to count all those words. My fingers and hands can't do it.  It is painful to type at times but hand writing is more painful to me.  Plus, my procrastination side will never count handwritten words.  I started to write this blog many hours ago (now yesterday).  It also happens to be the weekend and my computer guy (by computer guy I mean my husband) decided to help me find some storage space on my hard drive today.  I would love a new Mac Book Pro but that is not in the budget and I really don't have time to learn a new computer days before NaNoWriMo. About a week ago I started to get start up memory warnings on my computer. Not what a girl wants to see two weeks before