Skip to main content

Ode to the Mother-In-Law

The Mother-in-law stigma seems to be timeless.  Well, I couldn't have gotten a better Mother-in-law.  She is crazy and she will admit it. She will not admit that she is dramatic, but she has plenty of drama. She is a wonderful grandmother, a prayer warrior, a repeat short term missionary to some of the worst slums in the world, after school bible club leader/helper, loves her boys and really would do anything for them when she can,  and loves to talk. I could go on but I won't.  

This woman drove back from the mountains of NC to watch my kids after just being there for a day.  Why?  Well, I was sick and had to go the hospital for a few days.  At the time my kids where ages 3, 2 and 6 months.  She drove home to help us.  That is pretty amazing to give up your vacation in the mountains and drive home to watch your grandkids.  She even stayed the rest of the week to help out after my surgery.  That was two years ago this week.  It does take a village and I'm not sure what I would do with out my two mom's.  

Not only is she a great Mother-in-law the kids adore her and think she is the best Yea Yea ever. I wish that what happened with YEA YEA stayed with Yea Yea but sometimes I hear stories from the kids that I wish I just didn't know.  She lets them do things that Mommy won't which is fine, they love it.  The play in the dirt and stay outside for hours chasing imaginary hyenas or they pretend to be space rangers jumping into the pool.  Yea Yea = chocolate heaven on earth where there are limits, when it is gone you can't have any more.  

The funniest thing is that she told me last week that she would give us life time baby sitting for free.  I told her "I already have life time free baby sitting".  We can always count on her to help us out even if she has to rearrange her schedule to do so.  For example, I wanted to go on a field trip with Madison last week and she rearranged her job so I could go.  So sweet!  Not every grandmother can or would do that for their grandkids.  I am very grateful for my free life time baby sitting service.  Not so sure the kids will appreciate the life time part, but it is free.  

When you understand her heart you understand some of her quirks which could drive you crazy but when you really know her you love her for who she is.  Thanks Karen!  I am tooting your horn for you.  What started as playful banter is now the ODE to the Mother-In-Law.  

Comments

The Fo'Zaglia's said…
I second your motion!:) Karen is great and you are lucky to have her.

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...