Skip to main content

Purge

Today it was raining all day. It was a great day to stay inside and purge, purge, purge! Today I had help from my lovely assistant and the man of my dreams, the Mr. to my Mrs.

What a sad state of affairs we ran into today. Today we tackled a few things. Some more successful than others. One was my middle daughters dresser, one was my oldest daughters closet and then the piles and (sadly) boxes of papers. I did start the craft room but that is going to have to wait for tomorrow morning. I am am purged out for today.

From yesterdays purge I cleaned out the book closet/office. We converted a big closet in the common hallway to a book nook and printer/office area. Somewhere central to everyone. All that to say we are gifting books to three families. It feels good to give things away. I would never be able to go buy 18 books for a beginning reader I know but I have 18 easy readers that we don't need anymore. This was a bitter sweet moment for this mom but I am so glad that my kids are good readers and have outgrown these books too. The downside to this purge was a ton of piles of paperwork that was to be dealt with today.

What I realized today is I gather stray paper, receipt and piles of paperwork and I tend to toss everything in a small box and forget about it.  I found two shoeboxes in my bedroom. A rubbermaid bin under the guest bed full of paper stuff. I had a box lid full of paperwork in the office area. This has got to stop. It might look better at the time but over time I just don't deal with it and becomes a day long sort and toss day. That was my today and it was not fun. I found a dollar wrapped up in a receipt in a shoebox with our vacation receipts in it, that was early June.

I wish I could say I finished this task but I still have a small pile of things I need to find a home for.  Today I realized paperwork is something I need to do a better job of in 2015.  I need to organize mail and school paperwork that day and not put it off for later.

Today I also helped my girls purge some clothes. My middle daughter couldn't close one of her drawers it was so full of pajama's that don't fit. The clothes purge was successful. We got two bags of clothes one for a girl we know and one for a local non-profit. I also tossed hangers from stores. I have a ton of hangers and the Target hangers we don't need. They are being donated to a local thrift store.

I am trying to be mindful of what we toss and what we pass on to others. I am not a garage sale type of person but I know others could use what we no longer need or want so I am asking if people want things we no longer need.  I posted on Facebook about my book purge and had many ask me if I had anything they could use.  I sure do and I am even mailing books to a new reader.  He will have such a great day to get mail and books!

After two days of purging we have more room on the book shelf for new stories, a garbage bag full of clothes for a friend, three grocery bags full of books for friends, a bag of things to donate to a local nonprofit, and a dollar to spend.

Not at all looking forward to the craft room.  This is my area of "get behind me satan".  I don't worship crafting supplies but it is not an area that is easy for me to purge.  Wish me luck?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the