Skip to main content

Minimalism

Box of Chocolates, never know what you are going to get or when you are going to get it.  I once read you should never apologize for not posting or bring up how long it has been since you posted.  So let's just say I am a busy girl.  With that though brings me to my newest realization in life, less really is more.  I have always said this without really acting on my belief.  2015 is going to be different.

I am reading into minimalism a lot lately.  For a few reasons.  One reason, I hate cleaning my house.  I am very thankful for my home that has more than enough space for the five of us to frolic and play but after 12 years of being a stay at home mom I am plumb fed up with house upkeep.  This year, less is more.

My husband recent read a book called "Making Room for Life".  He told me I should read it and I will.  The little he said to me about the book, I get it.  Less is more, prioritize what is important.
I have posted on Facebook my goal to rid my life of stuff in the past couple of days and one friend tagged me today and said that she is encouraged by my purging and has decided to reevaluate her three closets of clothes!  WHAT?  Um, she would die if she saw the half a closet I share with hubby.  DIE!  She is always dresses so cute and now I know why.

This lead me to a thought that I am not the only one that gets caught up in consumerism or getting more stuff.  "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.  I love that I can encourage others to reevaluate what is going on in there lives.

I have a few blogs and thought about starting another one but Box of Chocolates is me.  You never know what you are going to get.  Although Box of Chocoalte is my struggles in life I read recently that "Never think what you have to offer is insignificant. There is always someone out there that needs what you have to give."  With that I am giving you what I have. I will not start another blog, I will not delete what I have already written over the years.

So this is what I have to give today. I am a stay at home mom of 12 years.  I have been giving up a teacher salary for 12 years!  I know what it is like to live on less.  Although my less is still way more than a lot of people in this world. I am not rich, but I am very rich.  I am in the 8% of the worlds income according to a statistic I read.  It stated that if you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, money in the bank and money in your wallet you are in the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.  How is that for perspective?  I have more than I need and more than I ever thought I would have.

I recently told my kids I was thinking about going back to school to reinstate my teaching certificate and my middle child begged me not to go back to work.  I was floored.  Then I got me to thinking, why would I go back to work now? I don't need more, I actually need less.  So my 2015 New Year's goal is less.  On day one, as I evaluate what I love and what encouraged to write a list on my top five important things to me.  I thought, writing.  I love writing.  It is important to me.  So I will write my 2015 minimalist goals and make time to do what I love.  Write.

My goal this year is to get rid of stuff to make room for what I really love.  Which include being a stay at home mom, crafter, writer, supporting my local nonprofit of choice and tutoring kids.  These are the things I want time for.  Not more stuff, I crave more time to do what I love.

Comments

Joy Thomas said…
love this. love you.
blessings on this new year and all that it brings!

Popular posts from this blog

Lucky Saint Patrick's Day!

Ada you will love this... Madison loses her tooth yesterday on the way home from school.  I am so excited, I take a picture as soon as she gets out of the van and post it everywhere and email it to family.  I clean it off and put it in a zip lock (easier to find under the pillow, right?) and we tuck it under the pillow and we all, ALL fall asleep.   Madison wakes up at 5:30 AM and says to me, "I can't see if the tooth fairy left me anything". PANIC stricken.  I FORGOT THE TOOTH FAIRY JOB!  Okay this is my only job on earth.  I can't remember to exchange cash for a baby tooth. I send her to the couch and tell her it is too early that she has to try and go back to sleep.   I grab Marks elbow and he says to me, "it is only 5:30".  He was awake and heard her too.  We both lay in silence for 30 minutes hoping she falls asleep.  Funny thing is once we talked to each other thirty minutes later, both of us were in bed formulating a plan.  He wanted to sneak out our

Mohawk!

    Um, where to start?   I went away for the weekend with girlfriends to get some R & R and scrapbook.  Little did I know I was going to come home to a Mohawk.  GO RAYS!  I think Nathan is loving the attention that comes with such a dramatic do.   I really can't believe Mark did such a crazy thing.  I don't think anyone that saw Nathan at church could believe it either. For all you wondering, I love it and I will go away on another girls weekend.  It's not like he gave all the kids a mohawk.  The girls still have their lovely locks.  

Time

Yes, my topic again is about time.  This one is not about the waste of time, but the passing of time.  As in how long it has been over a period of many days, years, etc.   Saturday night I went scrapbooking at a friends house.  Something we have done for about two years!  WHAT?  Two years, at least once a month.  Where did that time go?  I feel like it was just yesterday that Meagen and I where going to Anita's.  At the time if you would have told me my scrap buddy was moving in the matter of months to Fuquay-Varina I would have said two things,  "Where in the world it that?" and then I would have said "yeah, right!". She probably would have said the same things at the time.  I now see it all as a God wink.  Most of you have been to a Women of Faith conference and have heard the term God wink.  I appreciate all the God winks in my life.  See, at the time I didn't know Anita except from an occasional candle party or birthday party.  We were aquanitices at the