Skip to main content

It's Not Easy Being Green

I don't have my own grocery bags.  My car is not eco-friendly, but paid for.  The cost of a hybrid just doesn't make financial sense.  It is trendy to be green, but I feel like it should be more trendy to be financial smart.  I'm on my soapbox,  give me a minute to get off.     

Okay, back to green.  I did buy a paperless bible for my ipod touch.  My church is now going green by emailing the weekly bulletin and I signed up.  I can finally see the end of paper that they swore would happen with the invention of the home computer.  Paper is my green issue. Paper isn't all that bad is it?  

I do question the amount of paper a kindergarten class uses daily.  I have quite a pile accumulating in the corner of the office.  I saw a segment on PBS the other week about a local school that "went green".  Very good ideas.  They used so much less energy than the other schools in the district the superintendent took notice.  The teacher that started the school on the green journey has ALL homework emailed. How green is that!  Zero paper.  

So, why I am writing this.  As a traditional scrapbooker going through all her PAPER.   I find it very, very, very hard to be green.  I have way more 12 x 12 paper than I will use in all my current albums.  I have a forest of paper,  a very large forest.   I am trying to be eco-friendly and I am obviously conscience of how NON eco-friendly my hobby is at the moment.  I love paper! It isn't easy being green, Kermit was right.  


Comments

The Fo'Zaglia's said…
Everything in moderation. It's all a wash in the end. I use purchased grocery bags and we recycle here (which I love) but that is as far as I go for now:) What's scrappin' w/o good paper?
Stacie said…
Yeah, I have those "green" grocery bags & seriously, EVERY time I go to the grocery I forget them. I'm doing my part right along with ya! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...