Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Fear

Fear is not a new topic for me.  As I brainstormed for NaNoWriMo I found myself creating a main character (MC) around experiences of my life. With that comes somethings I am afraid to face. I start to think if I write this story and my mother reads it, what will she think?  How can I write a story throwing caution to the wind?  How would she feel about what I have written starts to cross my mind.

This story is going to be fiction but I have to draw on my experiences in life. I struggle with letting it all hang out. I want to write with total abandon without fear and angst. Time and time again I self edit before words even are written. I stray away from some topics because the reality of them might be too hard for me to write about.

I am learning that these are the things I have to get over and just write. It is hard to write with total abandon. I have yet to have a day where I just write and not self edit before the words are even typed. I have three kids that I want to read my book one day. What do I want them to read crosses my mind as I write.

I really don't have an answer to the total abandon of self when writing. It is something I struggle with every time I write. I know that in order for my writing to become better I have to write what it is I really want to say regardless of what others will think.  Mentally I know not everyone will love my story.  I have a few books I have read and not liked, even hated.

I can not candy coat this as a good thing. It is something you and I will face in November as you write you will have that little voice in your mind that tells you, "This story is awful!" or "Do you really want to go there?"  I think the self talk will effect your word count. I don't think those are writing blocks but writing barriers. You have the words but fear keeps you from typing or writing them down.

I think half the battle is knowing that this devil on your shoulder is present and a force to be reckoned with in November.  So what do we do?  I try to find encouraging words for writing.  Some are funny, some serious, but it helps me remember I have a story to tell.  I am going to link to my writing inspiration page on Pinterest.  I hope you find the words there encouraging.  I think one of my favorites is "Write like no one's reading."  That will get you to 50,000.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...