Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Pep Talk

My friend on the last day of September wrote on Facebook that she was doing a 31 day blog challenge. I know signing up for a challenge the day before was doomed but I thought why no try. Everyone likes a challenge. I tried to write a daily post in October with NaNoWriMo as the theme. It was all part of a 31 day challenge that I failed in week one but on the other hand I really didn't fail. Oxymoron right? Failed but didn't. How do you fail but succeed?

Here is why I feel like I succeeded even though on October 31st I will not have 31 entries. My 16 post so far in October are more than 5x's the amount I had in September. It isn't all about word count in NaNoWriMo. Any word counts. 50,000 is a goal but not the whole goal of NaNoWriMo. The goal of 50,000 is there to get you to have a number to focus on, a number to lead you in November.  The goal is writing.

Here is the way I approach writing. Every word I write is success because it equals more writing. The first year I did NaNoWriMo I wrote less than 10,000 words. Did I win NaNoWriMo? No, but I wrote more than the year before. Last year I wrote and got to the goal but the story was hardly compete or worthy of publishing. What NaNoWriMo has done is gotten me to write a story.  It has given me a reason to write. The more I write, the more I want to write. The more I write the better I will get at writing. Those facts are success.

A bad day writing is better than not writing at all. Don't be too harsh on your word count. Look at every word as a success because it is one more word you didn't write yesterday.  Even if you get 500 words and fall short of the 50,000 goal you still have 500 words.  When you put in your word count into NaNoWriMo and your finish date is projected for July 2016 don't quit!  If you wrote something that is worth celebrating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...