Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Ambassador

As you can tell I love the NaNoWriMo. Last year an opportunity came up to become an ambassador for NaNoWriMo. It really didn't take much to apply. They just need help to spread the word about them and what it is they do. I try to help this non-profit because as a former educator I see the importance of writing with a purpose. Even if the purpose is a crazy challenge that makes you wonder if you are insane for signing up.

I know that writing scores are the worst at my kids school. The scores are not bad overall but the writing portion of standardized testing scores are lower than math, science and reading. Kids need a purpose to write other than test taking.

When I first learned about NaNoWriMo I looked into why I had not heard of them while I was in the classroom. It was all about timing.  They were starting up when I was leaving the classroom to raise my 2.5 kids.  I hope one day to be the classroom teacher that as a class we do NaNoWriMo.

Another reason why I wanted to be an ambassador is because I am on the advisory board for a non-profit and I have learned funding is hard. You have to put in many man hours to raise funds and the payout on the other end is not so glamorous at times. It is hard to to run a non-profit and do what you are passionate about in this life and still eat.  Non-profits need volunteers.

I am a stay at home mother of three and my funds are limited. I want to help the dream of keeping NaNoWriMo alive as a non-profit. It takes me vary little time to promote them via Facebook, Twitter and here at Box of Chocolates. I want to support them but can't do that with money so being an ambassador is my way of contributing to NaNoWriMo.

T - 3 days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...