Skip to main content

NaNoWriMo & Sickness

Waking up sick during NaNoWriMo is a bummer. The first year I attempted NaNoWriMo I got sick at about my 9,000 word count and it was hateful. I didn't write much after that because I feel pretty bad and I lost momentum. 

It was a head cold. I couldn't concentrate. I had no plan and was writing by the seat of my pants. That is what NaNoWriMo calls a Pantser. I have tried to plan and I get stuck on details that it just works better for me to not plan or have a very little plan. I am not sure if my lack of planning had something to do with my demise in year one or just poor planning on the physical side of writing.  

I think I hit a brick wall and quit because it was my first year. I didn't know me as a writer. I didn't know how many words I could write in X amount of time. When the word count gap got higher and higher I could no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel. I also didn't know what it would take to finish and gave up.  

Last year I used extra cause to not get sick.  If someone came home feeling bad I used hand sanitizer and washed my hands a lot more than normal. I tried very hard to not get sick. Which should always be a goal but hand sanitizer and obsessive hand washing is not good for the skin. I managed to stay well last year and got to 50,000.  

NaNoWriMo is a physical challenge too. You have to sit and type (or write) for 50,000 words. Typing for hours at a time to get your ideas from grey matter to black and white. I estimate it will take me anywhere from 40 to 50 hours to finish my story.  At the 45 minute mark I know my back starts to hurt and I will need a break, short and sweet.  Can't stay away from writing for too long or I will get distracted by chores and other things I could be doing.  

Know your limits and plan for backaches, head colds, and other physical needs it will help you get to your goal.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

It has been 24 days since I changed my password and logged off Facebook. I have logged on twice to see if anyone messaged me and logged back off. Which I am glad that I did because someone messaged me about math tutoring. The only thing I missed was if someone had had their baby. I was interested to know and while I tried so hard to stay off Facebook I did search her name just to see if she had the baby. Then I thought if she did have the baby and I don't know then are we really friends?   We are not friends by the true definition, just virtual Facebook friends. Top 10 Things I Don't Miss About Facebook 1. Selling of Rodan & Fields, LuLaRue, 31, Ketones or Scentsy.  I like some of these products and support you 100% and hope you do well.  The multiple posts on your product daily but nothing else in your life, blah. 2. Bragging. I love to see pictures of your vacation, if it isn't the only time you are on Facebook. 3. Posting fake news. 4. Making a comment I ...

Self Correcting Error

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.    ~ Thomas Edison   As a parent I really struggle with how much should I meddle in the affairs of my kids. At what point are you just making your kids decisions for them? Recently I went to a winter retreat with a group of middle and high school students as a chaperone. We had fun, but as a chaperone we were talking about a choice one of the kids was making and the other parent said to us along the lines of it will be a "self correcting error".  At what point do we has parents let our kids fail, not to be mean spirited but at some point you learn by error. Clearly something that is going to cause them or others physical or emotional harm needs to be dealt with as soon as possible. What about the kid that wants to take AP history? The class you know will be hard. It will take a lot of work and might not be worth the AP credit. Do you let them never even have ...

Nasty Numbers

A friend stopped by the other day for just a minute that I haven't seen in a few weeks and she asked me what I was doing to lose weight.  I said to her, "what are you talking about?"  I just thought she was crazy until Sunday.  I was getting ready for church as usual and picked out one of my newest skirts, ironed it and put it on and in fell below my waist!  I pinned it and went to church.   Today I put on another newer skirt and it too was very lose.  I then decided to get on my scale. It usually always tells me the same nasty numbers.  Today it was 9 lbs less.  I got on again to make sure it was right and it said the same thing.  9lbs?  I still think the scale is wrong.   I think it could be because I haven't gone to the drive thru's for over a month except for one day when I went on a field trip with Madison.  That speaks volumes of the fast food!  So, my goals to save money is also causing me to lose weight.  Great side effect,  save money = lose weight.   The...